A brief guide to some common household locks. When calling for a quote or advice over the phone. Knowing what type of lock you have usually enables us to give a more accurate price or diagnosis of any problems.

yale lock in colchester

Rim cylinder - commonly called a "Yale" lock.

Usually found on wooden front doors, in many different variations. From basic to high security models.

mortice lock in colchester

Mortice Deadlock

Usually found halfway down wooden front doors. A 5 lever British Standard deadlock is usually a requirement of most household insurance policies..

sashlock in colchester

Mortice Sashlock.

Similar to a mortice deadlock. However has a latch operated by a door handle. Usually found on wooden front/back doors. Insurance approved versions available.

cylinder lock colchester

Euro Cylinder.

Usually found in uPVC, Composite and apartment doors.  Basic and high security models available..

flat lock in colchester

Oval Cylinders

Found in some uPvc doors and apartment doors. Oval in shape rather then the more common euro cylinder which is shaped like an enlarged key hole.

upvc door lock colchester

Multi-Point Locking Systems.

Refers to the locking strip - mechanism on the inside of Upvc and composite doors. These can be troublesome but can be serviced, repaired, replaced or parts ordered for them.